Inspired by Kate Hart’s incredible YA Highway 2012 Wrap-Up, I thought I’d throw together a reflection on what has been a pretty amazing year.
- I went on a honeymoon to New Zealand and Australia, and got to meet fellow YA Highway member Leila Austin and her adorable baby!
- When I returned I read my favorite book of the year, John Green’s The Fault in Our Stars, and got the chance to see John and Hank Green during the book tour’s stop in D.C.! (Pictured above: Jessica Sheehan and Rick Lipman)
- I was also so psyched to put up my new blog header, illustrated by the crazy-awesome Noelle Stephenson, a.k.a. Gingerhaze, who recently got herself a book deal and illustrated the cover for Rainbow Rowell’s new book, Fangirl!
- Dr H and I moved to a new apartment, with our trusty new companion Hammer
- The Hunger Games movie basically exploded my life. I got so excited that I started having weird-ass dreams about the movie, and I blogged about it so much that a Swedish television station interviewed me about Hunger Games mania in the U.S. I also hosted a premiere day watch party with the DC MafYA, and the movie review as well as Bestie Danielle’s and my analysis of the portrayal of Gale and Peeta were among the biggest posts of the year on this here blog.
- I freaked out with joy and pride when fellow YA Highwayer, DC MafYA-er and general IRL bestie Sumayyah sold her book, Begin Again, to Julia Strauss-Gabel at Penguin!
- Dr H had a birthday! Yay!
- Dr. H graduated from medical school, Bestie Megan had a gorgeous wedding in Louisville, Kentucky, and I had White Castle for the first time!
- I attended BookExpo America with some other most excellent ladies from D.C.
- Bestie Danielle had a superfun wedding in the Bay Area of California! I got to eat more In N Out!
- I spent a few days in Colorado at the first (of many, I hope!) YA Highway writing retreat. The time spent there completely jump-started my creative process.
- I finished the first (decent) draft of my WiP in more than a year. And celebrated via .gif. Woo!
- I got awkwardly obsessed with Battlestar Galactica
- Revising revising revising playing flag football revising
- Revising revising Hurricane Sandy revising revising
- Organized the YA Highway Carpool Lane e-mail campaign to encourage everyone participating in NaNoWriMo
- Killed it at Karaoke with some DC MafYA buddies
- Survived the apocalypse!
- Finished the second major revision of the WiP (phew!)
- Discovered Pitch Perfect and became uncomfortably obsessed