The Hunger Games: A Peeta/Gale Retrospective

by sarahenni on March 30, 2012

So, I wrote about my feelings on most of The Hunger Games movie yesterday, but of course I left out one of, if not the, most important parts of the movie: Peeta and Katniss, and Peeta and Gale, and how the movie showed us Katniss’ emotional journey through their relationships.

First, I’d like to give the floor to Bestie Danielle, the Team Gale beat reporter for this here blog, for her analysis of how the movie did, or didn’t do right by Mr. Hawthorne.

Gale

As a hardcore member of Team Gale, I thought it was hilarious when the castings were first announced:

I mean really.

But then I saw the movie. Unfortunately, Movie Gale let this gal down pretty hard. For anyone still on the fence about this love triangle, please do not let Movie Gale sway you towards Peeta. Book Gale is way, way better than Movie Gale.

Book Gale is a rugged, manly, hunter. He and Katniss lost their dads in the same accident, and both turned to illegal hunting to provide for their families. Book Gale understands Katniss because their lives and hardships have been so similar. Meanwhile, Movie Gale talks about his feelings and follows Katniss around while she acts like a badass. Movie Gale doesn’t hunt. He is Katniss’ hunting poodle who is afraid to ruin his manicure, let alone kill something.

Book Gale is angry. In a totally hot way! Both Book Gale and Movie Gale complain about the Capitol a lot. Book Gale complained in an angry, ranting way. Movie Gale mopes in a field, painting his nails, and ponders whether or not vests have become too mainstream.

Gale is sad.

It’s always interesting to see a first person narrative be transferred to film. But unfortunately, the way we got to see Gale’s heartbreak was a montage of mopey, forlorn looks.

Book Gale was super hot. Let’s face it: part of Gale’s appeal is that he is smokin’ hot. He’s literally tall, dark, and handsome. In Mockingjay, Johanna takes one look at Gale and is like, “hot DAMN!” He’s an athletic, tough-as-nails mountain man hunter who all the girls in school have a crush on. Unfortunately for Movie Gale, he has a much hotter older brother, Thor. A much hotter brother that we all got to meet first (in Thor and the Snow White and the Huntsman preview.) Movie Gale is kind of like the Eli to Thor’s Peyton Manning.

I also think I would have been far more attracted to Movie Gale if he wasn’t such a mouth breather.

Seriously. Look at that. There is nothing hot about a mouth breather.
On a positive note, the most important part about the Katniss-Gale relationship is that she trusts him, and she trusts him with the most important thing to her – Prim’s life. This translated well in the movie anytime we saw Movie Gale interact with Prim. Movie Gale grabbing a distraught Prim at the reaping was pretty perfect, and Prim sitting on Movie Gale’s shoulders at the end was a great visual representation of what Gale means to Katniss.

As another positive thing, I am down with the fact that they didn’t touch too much on the romantic possibilities between Katniss and Gale. I think it’s important (like Erin said in her guest post on love trianges) that viewers understand that this trilogy is not about a love triangle, and Katniss doesn’t really give a shit about what boys are in love with her. Since Book Gale plays a more active role the second and third books, hopefully Movie Gale mans up a bit and gets way more awesome in the next two movies!

And hopefully, he closes his mouth more.

(Thanks Danielle! And I solemnly swear I did not alter or misrepresent Danielle’s feelings in any way. She really, really doesn’t like mouth breathers.)

Okay, now it’s my turn!

Peeta

Dreaminess factor: achieved

Alright, Let’s discuss Peeta. Poor handsome, wildly-talented Josh Hutcherson has been put up to an impossible fangirl standard with this role. I get that. I do. And overall, I’d say he really got it. I like him as Peeta—but I felt that movie Peeta was softened from the complex character in the books. One of my YA Highway cohorts described Josh, and the Katniss-Peeta ro(faux?)mance as “dopey”—and in some ways I agree.

It isn’t Josh’s fault, at least not entirely; the script stole some of the best, most defining Peeta moments from him. For example, instead of showing Peeta slapping a Bloody Mary out of Haymitch’s hand the first day on the train, the movie cut right to Katniss’ table-knifing. Shortly after, Peeta is shown waving giddily to the Capitol crowd gathered around their train. Not a cunning line on Josh’s slightly doughy (I COULD NOT RESIST) face, with only Haymitch to suggest, “He really gets it.” In the book, when the crowds have gone, we get to see Peeta himself reveal that there’s a cynic (and a serious Game strategist) within:

He sees me staring at him and shrugs. “Who knows?” he says. “One of them may be rich.”
(The Hunger Games, p.60)

Peeta is playing the game. Not only is he playing it, he pulls into the lead the minute he tells the Capitol audience, “she came here with me.” In the movie, Peeta does establish the star-crossed lover ruse, but they slowly flatten him out in the arena until it’s impossible to tell that he’s still a clever competitor. It starts out well (how interesting was it to learn that Peeta bypassed any Cornucopia supplies and headed right for the woods? That was a nice benefit of not being restricted to Katniss’ perspective) with Peeta clearly uneasy in the pack of careers. But after he shoos Katniss off to recover safely from her tracker jacker stings, there’s nary a hint of Peeta being self-aware of their love game, or of their Panem audience. Conversely, in the book, after Katniss finds Peeta camouflaged by the river and she begins to move him to the cave:

“Lean down a minute first,” he says. “Need to tell you something.” I lean over and put my good ear to his lips, which tickle as he whispers. “Remember, we’re madly in love, so it’s all right to kiss me anytime you feel like it.”

Clever and cheeky and completely “Team”-worthy. The movie, in my opinion, fails to show that Peeta remains aware of and savvy about the gamesmanship in the arena in and after the cave scene. The audience sees Katniss get helpful Haymitch notes (“You call that a kiss?”) so we know she had tactics on the mind when she leans in for her “shut up and go to sleep so I can get your medicine” lip-lock. But we get no hint, physically or verbally, not even so much as a wink, to suggest Peeta (though no doubt harboring real feelings for Katniss) is interested in hyping up and selling their romance, too.

Art by Noelle Stevenson – click for source

The reason that bothers me so much is, I thought the movie did a decent job of condensing the lovey dovey bits  (there wasn’t exactly room in this 2.5-hour sprint to spend three days lounging in a cave) and making the extent of Katniss and Peeta’s genuine feelings for one another clear. When Katniss returns from retrieving Peeta’s medicine at the Cornucopia, they shared a very real moment. Forget the kiss—that moment of charged lingering was exactly perfect. That was so necessary, because having such a brief, honest moment put the constructed, calculated world of the games in relief.

And besides the brilliantly-done interview with Caesar (God love Stanley Tucci, he was perfection on toast), Josh rarely got the chance to show that Peeta really does have a self-deprecating sense of humor. (Okay, the “I’ll take the arrow. … Just kidding!“ moment was pretty good, too.) Peeta’s brains and Seth Cohen-like sense of humor are the entire reason for Team Peeta. But it isn’t only the quips that I missed, it was how they showed that Peeta and Katniss were equals. Because in the books, Peeta’s jokes are often sarcastic comments on things that Katniss does. He has genuine feelings for her, which grow into love, but Peeta does not think Katniss is perfect. Far from it. For instance, we missed out on this little gem from training, when Peeta gets all camouflage-artistic and credits his years of frosting cakes (RESISTING JOKE SO HARD):

“It’s lovely. If only you could frost someone to death,” I say.

“Don’t be so superior. You can never tell what you’ll find in the arena. Say it’s actually a giant cake—” begins Peeta.

“Say we move on,” I break in.

(The Hunger Games, p. 96)

It disappointed me because I had hoped since the movie was a break from Katniss’ point of view, it would take advantage of it to show Peeta as a more well-rounded character overall, not simply the object of Katniss’ schizophrenic love/hate. But, by flattening Peeta’s complexity toward the end of the movie, our final impression of Peeta is that he’s a love-addled victor whose next big challenge is prying Katniss away from Gale.

It’s only a flesh wound

Finally, a HUGE part of my critique on Peeta’s loss of complexity has to do with the decision to magically heal his leg wound in the cave. For those of you who don’t remember, in the book Peeta’s leg gets better, but only enough for him to run from the muttations. By the time Cato’s slowly dying and the problem of the berries presents itself, Peeta’s losing blood and doesn’t have much time left. When K & P are lifted into the hovercraft, the book gives us one of its compelling, and telling, moments: Katniss, feral and desperate, banging her fists against the glass wall separating her from Peeta and the swarm of doctors who restart his heart, twice. Not only does Peeta’s Magical Leg-Healing Moment rob us of additional tension at the end of the movie, and a glimpse into how Katniss truly feels for him, it also takes away a pivotal mark of how the Games have a lasting affect on his character. For more on that subject I want to direct you to this excellent article on the topic from Tiger Beatdown. An excerpt:

Peeta, like other characters, is scarred by the world he lives in, and he bears a visible mark of the cruelty and brutality of Panem, but more importantly, he’s another person trying to survive and build a better world. By neatly cutting that entire plotline away, the filmmakers avoided some tangled and thorny issues.

S. E. Smith, So, How About Those Hunger Games

And if there’s anything you can count on The Hunger Games books for—especially as the series progress—is tangled and thorny issues. I’m interested to see how the films address (or don’t) that in the future.

WELL! I have been exceedingly long-winded, and I apologize for that. But I want to know what you think!! Did the movie live up to your expectations for Peeta/Gale? Disappoint? What do you hope they show in the next two movies?

Danielle March 30, 2012 at 11:36 am

I won’t lie, I’m super stoked that I have my own tag on your blog! Also, mouth breathers suck,

sarahenni March 30, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I will never be able to look at Eli Manning the same again.

Crystal Schubert March 30, 2012 at 11:54 am

This would sound totally callous out of context… but I was so disappointed that Peeta’s leg wound wasn’t more severe and that his leg wasn’t amputated. That was a pretty huge deal, and you’re so right that the whole hovercraft scene at the end would have been so devastating to see on the screen.

sarahenni March 30, 2012 at 1:16 pm

HAHAHA That does sound strange out of context! But seriously, Peeta’s wound and amputation were so huge for his character and Katniss’ feelings… I wish we’d been able to see the hovercraft scene.

(And remember how great it was, because as Katniss is flailing, some random Capitol guy walks by and says, “Refreshment?” Man! Wish I could’ve seen that.)

Mandy Aguilar March 30, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Sarah, you said ALL THE THINGS I was thinking about Movie Peeta. He was so underrepresented in the film. I really liked Josh Hutcherson’s performance, and it was mostly just a matter of the good Peeta moments ending up on the cutting room floor.

One of the first things I said coming out of the theater was how much I missed the hovercraft surgery scene and Katniss’s reaction to finding out he lost his leg. I’m sure the filmmakers had a reason for cutting out these poignant scenes, but for the life of me I can’t imagine why.

sarahenni March 30, 2012 at 1:18 pm

” it was mostly just a matter of the good Peeta moments ending up on the cutting room floor.” —Exactly. Strange, though, considering what a big character Peeta is, and the amount of scrutiny G. Ross & Co. had to know their treatment of him would undergo.

“I’m sure the filmmakers had a reason for cutting out these poignant scenes, but for the life of me I can’t imagine why.” I agree, 100%. I hope in the DVD they might address that, or at least in the lead-up to Catching Fire, where they’ll have to discuss how it’s different than the book for Peeta.

Nicki March 30, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Danielle, loved your Gale comments. That first scene of them in the woods, when Gale MESSES UP A KILL for Katniss seemed REALLY out of character, even though he had a point that it was Reaping Day and not a good idea to carry a deer carcass into town. BUT STILL. He and Katniss were so in step in the woods, Katniss tells us so when she tries to hunt with Peeta in the arena, and they definitely deserved one good hunting scene. Also, I expected them to show more of his reactions as a viewer of the games.

It’s true that the best parts from the movie were his interactions with Prim.

And Sarah, I totally agree with your comments about Peeta – he ended up looking stupid at the end of the movie, unaware of the stakes and of the original plan.

Nicki March 30, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Also, it bothered me that they didn’t show Katniss cleaning Peeta and *trying* to address his wound. I think it was a really nice interaction and showed her weaknesses as well as her strengths, and Peeta’s strength too.

sarahenni March 30, 2012 at 5:05 pm

That’s so true, having Katniss try to heal gave her a human side, because she was so inept.

And per your first comment, I agree that Gale ruining the hunt was not really part of his character. But the books never showed Gale and Prim interacting, so getting to see that was great.

Jessica BS March 30, 2012 at 2:25 pm

So a friend on Twitter @melgotserved just introduced me to a hilarious phrase. I referred to Josh as (of course) Peeta Pocket, to which she called Liam “The Towering Inferno.”

I simply had to share it here.

This is a REALLY IMPRESSIVE comparison of the HG boys. I see both sides, but I’m a fangirl. I side with the jawline. #doitforthejawline

sarahenni March 30, 2012 at 5:23 pm

THE TOWERING INFERNO! I really hope he gets the chance to live up to that in the next 2 movies. OMG.

And of course you know I am also #doingitforthejawline

Erin March 30, 2012 at 3:06 pm

LADIES. You’ve given me my solid LOL for the morning. (And I love a good reference to my guest blog! WOOT!) When Hipster Gale is an internet meme, can we credit Danielle for first postulating that he sits in fields and wonders about vests all emo-like?

I have literally written a dissertation on what I think about the Hunger Games, The Movie: Ghost Protocol: The Sands of Time, but it bears repeating. Although I’m disappointed by the backseat that Peeta took to the development of Katniss as a BAMF in the film, there are things that I’m relieved they didn’t do. I’m glad they didn’t give Peeta the Full Lautner treatment. The tween girls would’ve been apoplectic over some shirtless action (OKAY, MAYBE I WOULD’VE BEEN, TOO), but I’m pretty glad they didn’t go there. It maintained his innocence and rightfully didn’t introduce lust into the delicate mix of real vs. imagined feelings of protectiveness and devotion. I’m relieved they didn’t take his leg at the end, although I never really expected them to. (A grave injury to said leg, though, was necessary, and I am disappointed they extricated that.) I’m relieved they gave him a few moments that gave him a spine AND made him funny and popular.

And maybe my favorite moment that they left in the film? As Katniss, Effie, and Peeta are being driven from the Reaping to the train, Katniss is sitting hollow-eyed and staring into nothing, and Peeta’s sitting on the other side of the cab, looking out the window and crying. Just like in the book. So him. So well-acted. So obviously not (and never will be) the alpha in this relationship. I mean, can you imagine seeing a scene like that in any other film?

Danielle March 30, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I would obviously love hipster Gale credit! Also, I’m pretty sure Movie Gale was a fan of The Hunger Games before it got popular.

Your comment just made me hope so badly that they give Movie Gale the TLaut treatment in the next movie! It will totally do a disservice to the book, but it will make this creeper one very happy gal.

sarahenni April 2, 2012 at 3:46 pm

“the Hunger Games, The Movie: Ghost Protocol: The Sands of Time” *DIES*

I am so with you re: not wanting the Lautner treatment. I mean, we love Peeta because he provides carbs, not so much with the shirtlessness.

Okay but now I’m curious why you’re relieved they didn’t take his leg? It definitely would’ve made films 2 and 3 more difficult, but it was a HUGE thing to change, right? (honest question, not meant to be read sassy at all!)

ARGH you are SO right about the moment with Peeta crying. He’s unlike most of the other YA fangirl lust objects for that (also see comments re: happy about him keeping his shirt on), god bless him. That would absolutely not happen in another film. GAH! CAN WE WATCH THIS TOGETHER PLS?

Sara McClung March 30, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I totally missed the hovercraft scene at the end. I WANTED to see Katniss going apeshit for Peeta, yanno? Well, clearly you know because you already said it yourself.

sarahenni April 2, 2012 at 3:47 pm

The Hovercraft Scene!! It is honestly one of the most strongly imagined ones from the entire series for me. I remember when I first read it, tears streaming down my face. WHY did it have to go??

Kitty March 30, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Great post! Your take on Movie Gale was spot-on. I can’t wait to see what they do with him in the next couple movies when he should have a bigger part to play. And also – LOL on the mouth breather comment! I didn’t even notice it so much on Gale but that is the EXACT reason that I was disappointed (a little) in the actor who plays Jon Snow on Game of Thrones. Jon Snow should be hot. And a mouth breather is not!!

sarahenni April 2, 2012 at 3:48 pm

HAHA Gale and Jon Snow eh? I think there’s a blog post in there somewhere Kitty!

And I’m definitely with you—in the next two movies both Peeta and Gale will have more time to grow into their characters I think. *hopes*

Lindsay Smith March 30, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Dude, dude. The mouthbreather-Gale? And his Eli Manning status?!? Am laugh so much.

I will admit that an hour into the movie the first time around, I realized that I was MAD in love with Josh Hutcherson. Not quite ready to chip a nail catfighting Miley Cyrus for him, but, like, whoa. Given the script, he was a-ma-zing. But I was hardcore Team Peeta throughout the books. That boy knows what is up.

Still, robbing him of robbing him of his leg? Not cool. It’s going to be really hard for them to compensate the emotional impact there. I could be really cynical and say it’s a Hollywood plot to sideline disabled-friendly stories, but I suspect it’s more just a victim of time limits. We’ll see how it plays out in 2013.

Sob . . . so far away!

sarahenni April 2, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Girl. I am going to be two full years older when Catching Fire comes out. I can’t even.

And you’re right, I definitely think cutting the amputation was a time-limit thing, but wow. What a MAJOR change, you know? And no matter what, the fact that it eliminates a character who was disabled is definitely going to be critiqued—as it should, I think. Awareness, yay!

Hannah @ so obsessed with March 30, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Ever read a blog post and wish you’d written it? That totally just happened to me! You both just wrote EVERYTHING I wanted to say about the boys in the movie, especially Peeta, but couldn’t put the right words to! I just re-read the book after seeing the movie twice. Reading it again made me love Book Peeta more (!) and more aware of how Movie Peeta fell short. I don’t think it was Josh – it seemed more like it was the material he was given. Peeta had such great lines in the book, and the movie just didn’t do him justice. And, you know, I wanted more kissing. For reals. I still loved the movie, but I wanted to love Peeta more than I did. You identified exactly why that was, and THIS POST (rather than the movie) totally solidified my Peeta love.

Also – Totally agree about mouth breathers. Gross. And lots of LOL-ing at this: “Movie Gale mopes in a field, painting his nails, and ponders whether or not vests have become too mainstream.”

sarahenni April 2, 2012 at 3:51 pm

*HUGS HANNAH FOREVER* Thank you so much! I’m so glad you could relate to the post :D

When Danielle sent me that comment (Gale re: vests) I about died. MAN she is funny!

Carmen April 1, 2012 at 12:54 am

Team Peeta. There’s no changing my mind on that one. I was also really upset that they didn’t put the leg problem at the end. Not only does it get mentioned in the coming books, it also just shows you Katniss’s real feelings for him, even if she doesn’t know what they are herself.

sarahenni April 2, 2012 at 3:52 pm

You are SO right Carmen. In the interviews when Peeta reveals his leg was amputated, Katniss’ reaction was completely genuine. It showed so much about her, and her feelings. We really missed that at the end of this movie, IMO.

Arielle April 1, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I completely agree with everything you said. I feel embarassed that I did this, but a couple of times when the camera flashed on Cato (Alexander Ludwig) staring at Katniss,- I totally thought “Aw! Peeta looks so cute!”. I AM A TERRIBLE PERSON. It’s just that Alexander Ludwig and Josh Hutcherson have similar features, though he is quite tall. I fail at life.

Also, Erin’s post was the reason I started following your blog. I loved it!

sarahenni April 2, 2012 at 3:53 pm

HAHA I don’t think mistaking Cato for Peeta would be hard to do at all! But Cato has about 12 feet on Josh, LOL. They are both QUITE easy on the eyes :)

Aaaaw I’m so glad you loved Erin’s post! She is a genius, straight-up!

kirsten hubbard April 2, 2012 at 12:14 pm

so apparently I am stalking your archives. I haven’t read THG in years, and I forgot all that great stuff about peeta. love the cake comment and am now super bummed it didn’t make it in. though he still won me over in the movie. (lol at mouth-breather gale)

sarahenni April 2, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I hadn’t re-read the book for about 2 years until I did for this post. I loved Peeta like, even more after reading it critically. He is such a complicated character. They just didn’t have the time to get to that, I guess :(

Krispy April 2, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I totally forgot to comment on this over the weekend! So I’ll make this short and sweet as I think I have the makings of my own ridic long HG movie review in the works for this week & I always feel bad about leaving walls of text in your comments. LOL.

1. Danielle’s comments on Book Gale vs. Movie Gale are so amazing it hurts. I had to read it OUT LOUD to my friend because it was so funny. And I agree so much, btw. Book Gale is way hotter (and Chris is indeed the superior Hemsworth :P). I liked the idea of actually getting to see Gale observing the Games & the conflict there, but while he got more screen time in the movie, he was much more of a presence in the books. But there’s not really you can do much about that since that presence was thanks to our being in Katniss’ head and her thinking about him.

And omg, mouth-breathing! That was probably the FIRST thing I noticed about Movie Gale in the first HG trailers that came out. I was like OMG, CLOSE YOUR MOUTH.

2. PEETA, OH PEETA. I was soooo iffy about Josh Hutcherson being cast as Peeta (even though I’m Team Gale), but he completely won me over in the movie. He was so Peeta, I can’t even. All that aside, I agree so much with your review about the CHARACTER of Movie Peeta! Movie Peeta made me feel a lot of things similar to what I felt for Book Peeta, but I was definitely missing the complexity! It’s been a while since I read HG, so your detailed post brought back so much, but I do remember being more iffy about Book Peeta – and not in a bad way. It was kind of awesome to see this “nice guy” (or as my friend would say, “tofu”) sort of character who was both charismatic and nice and generally seen as “weaker” than Katniss reveal himself to be clever and savvy and in many ways as much of a fighter as Katniss (though in different ways). I remember being surprised by Book Peeta’s social deftness and even cunning, his sarcastic humor, and especially the fact that I found I didn’t know if I could trust him. It was like I had one impression of him that deepened and changed as I got to know him over the course of the book.

In the movie, all of that was flattened out, and I get where that was coming from. I feel like within the movie constraints he needed to be less ambiguous and more clearly an ally to Katniss or at least more clearly sympathetic, but I miss Book Peeta’s ambiguity. AND you see, I think this flattening out thing also plays into my gripe that they didn’t give us enough on the real/not real theme. Because Peeta’s instances of showing his understanding of showmanship were taken out (i.e. the “one of them might be rich” comment), it also lessened the idea of how important showmanship is to helping you in the Games. Like the whole urgency of acting to save your life was lost for me in the movie, and I think the broader strokes used on Peeta’s character contributed to that.

Also, yeah, what was UP with magically fixing his leg? Again, urgency gone. I was all – wow, Peeta’s running really well/fast away from those Mutts! I don’t recall this at all from the book. Wasn’t he limping along at this point???

OK, I need to stop because I’m writing another essay here. In short, Book Peeta > Movie Peeta but Josh Hutcherson is still the Bread King.

Andie Z April 2, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I totally agree 100% with everything you said. Overall I liked the movie, but one of my main complaints was the loss of the complexities and subtleties of the Katniss/Peeta relationship, which is one of my absolute favorite things about the book. And I especially hated the way they made the ending so less intense and traumatic for both of them. It was all just too easy. I touched on all this in my movie recap, but you did an awesome job explaining everything in-depth. Great post! :)

bgbgbe April 2, 2012 at 9:19 pm

OK if u all remember peetas leg was ok (kind of)until a mutt bit it!!! he only lost his leg from about the knee down

Blue April 4, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I must agree with you completely. The movie utterly failed to represent the emotions going on and the characters were a bit misplaced. As much as I love Liam, I believe that they should have casted someone with a bit more edge. The worst parts of the movie were when you watch and you notice they skipped something or they jump too fast from scenes. I know you have a time restraint, but the movie script could have been done with a bit more thought and consideration towards the book. All in all, the movie was okay for someone who never read the book, but for a reader, the movie completely ruined the book.

Laurie Dennison April 4, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I stopped by today to read your RTW, which was lovely, and end up here. You girls are all spot on! I really loved Book Gale up until the last part of Mockingjay, and I think they missed the opportunity to do more with Movie Gale. The overall complexity of the Katniss-Peeta relationship was lacking even before the ending, but I suppose they had to keep it under 3 hours.

Chloe April 6, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Omg I love you Peeta!

None of your business April 6, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I LOVE GALE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No trying to turn this into twilight but ……. TEAM GALE 4 LIFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mich67 April 7, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Honestly I’m not a big Gale fan…to me he’s nothing more than Katness without the compassion but I see his place in the books. My problem with it is that in the first book he really didn’t have that big of a role yet in the movie every small bit he had in the book was shown at the expense of scenes that are more important to the overall story…like Rue telling about her district which shows how bad things really are outside of district 12. In fact I could have done with a lot less Gale and more of the stuff they left out about Peeta…afterall book two deals with a little more of Gale and by book three he is actually a main character…I say there is time to do them all justice.
My fear is that in the wake of Twilight they are trying to make this into a Hollywood triangle thing…which just isn’t there in the books. Does Katness have feelings for both guys…sure…but they are not the same kind of feelings and you can pick up on that throughout the books. The guys are even civil towards one another. I just hope we don’t get an attempt at Twilight and miss that the story is more about the society that Katness lives in and what her actions in the Hunger Games unleash on that society.

Sally April 18, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Oh my… you nailed it! I was disappointed with both representation of Gale and Peeta in the movie. I could never quite understand Katniss’ almost emotionless response to either of the guys – but let’s face it, Gale was a hunk in the book, and movie Gale was almost superfluous and definitely not a fiercely independent mountain guy who was her equal. And Peeta… movie Peeta just wasn’t book Peeta. I didn’t particularly like book Peeta either, but he did at least play the game while grappling with the reality that Katniss didn’t really return the affection.

Love your insights into the film relative to the book – both on the two leading men and the movie itself

Abby May 1, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Yeah, they cut it all out; all the reasons why we fell for their love story.
I am left hoping that it is a part of the bigger picture. However, fire needs to truly catch in Catching Fire.
Regarding Peeta: he’s such a wonderfully complex and sometimes surreally good and true character, that while reading the books you long for his presence. The movie tried and failed to build this feeling. It achieved dissatisfaction by decreasing his presence and depth. Dissatisfaction, unfortunately, is not the same as longing.

On the brighter side, I almost liked Josh’ performance. He portrayed the character from an unexpected angle that is still very likable. I truly hope that next time they’ll give him a good screenplay to work with, because I feel like he has the talent and guts to make Peeta unforgettable.

kala May 7, 2012 at 7:23 pm

its like you read my mind exactly what i thought

GKP August 22, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Hi. Ok, you have voiced EXACTLY what I thought when I watched the movie, and exactly what I hate about it! Honestly I think it has to do with the casting. But what you said is true – in the book, Gale is rugged, angry in a brooding hot way. (This was my exact argument that went out via mass text the second I finished the movie – yes I tend to get way too into things;p). In the movie, Gale smiles! Easily! That’s not supposed to happen! And don’t even get me started on Peeta. I just thought he was a bumbling idiot in the movie. In the book, he doesn’t have Gale’s outward manliness per se, but he shows his courage and sincerity in an equally appealing way. Again, I think it comes down to the casting. I know that it can’t be exactly what I pictured in my head, but I really wish they would have called me before they hired a meathead and an idiot.

Paige April 5, 2013 at 1:37 pm

First of all, I really enjoyed your comments and totally agree with them. I think that they did lose some of Peeta’s complexity in the movie, but I have to give Josh Hutcherson some credit. I wasn’t sure when I saw him cast that he would fit (because he just didn’t fit my vision), but he captured the personality and feel of Peeta perfectly. As you said, the interview scene(and the one right after in the window) were exactly as envisioned.
I also agree that while the kiss between K/P did nothing for me, the moment after Katniss brings back the medicine and he puts it on her forehead was hot. I felt the chemistry there. My main complaint about the movie and the K/P relationship was the missing confrontation at the end. Peeta does not find out that Katniss was faking for the cameras the whole time. This is everything for what their relationship is at the beginning of Catching Fire. Since it wasn’t there, I am not sure how this will play in the next movie. I was frustrated because I felt it was a truly important scene for them. Anyways…
I won’t make any judgements on Gale. There was just so little to work with. What I saw I liked, but will keep my opnions until we get to the good stuff later on.
I really appreciate your comments and views. They were spot on!

Tanspam December 23, 2013 at 12:19 am

Great comment! Thanks for that!

Also impressed me how mature Peeta really is for his age. Katniss usually acts in the book like a teenager (hiding in closets in 13, thinking only about how a tragedy affects her , not understanding her mom and just being selfcentered ) . But Peeta , who his own mother thinks he’s going to die, plays and plots the Capitol, the Careers, even Katniss doesn’t know where he stands. And how Haymitch just leaves him to die, and Katniss doesn’t love him, and he’s alone when he comes back to 12, yet he doesn’t lose his love for life or for people. And again in the second book, after he lost his family and can’t tell true from false, how he is able to question himself and regain control of his mind. Even at the beginning, when playing the Capitol, he doesnt want to be ‘just a piece in their games’
If he hadn’t been so in love with Katniss, what would you think of him?
I think he’s strong.
I think few people realize, how mature he is
And wise for his age