A Capitol Affair

by sarahenni on March 26, 2012

Phew! It’s Monday after the opening weekend of The Hunger Games, and my mind is still reeling. I have Opinions about the movie, but I’ll share those later this week (when hopefully everyone has seen it!). A few members of the DC Mafia gathered on Saturday to eat, drink, and be merry, which I think we can all agree was the most Capitol way ever to celebrate a movie about teens murdering one another. But, hey, haters gonna hate, and we enjoyed ourselves anyway!

It was actually quite fitting that we had a Capitol-esque Hunger Games kick-off soiree, as local book blogger Sasha, genuine resident of Panem’s wealthiest Rocky Mountain resort town, was partying with us! Sasha was an extra in the movie (she did an awesome Q&A about it here), and during the movie very graciously refrained from screaming, “LOOK THAT’S ME!” whenever she was onscreen like I totally would have.

More than a few of us were rocking Hunger Games T-shirts, and some of the nail polish, too. Everyone was super creative with their potluck entrees. Cristin brought cookies she hand-stamped with images of mockingjays and dandelions, and Jessica could of course be counted on to bring perhaps the most delicious snack of them all:

#PeetaPocket

Sasha and her book blog cohort Mary (better known as Em) showed up toting a suitcase full of swag (bundles of ARCs!) that we used as prizes for a Hunger Games trivia game.

How awesome (and adorable) are they?

The questions were pretty hard, and I was really impressed with how much the DC Mafi-ers remembered!

Then, of course, the game was on and we had to get to the theater in time to snag some uncrappy seats. Our showing was packed, and it was awesome to see the movie surrounded by people who I knew were as excited, nervous, and generally INTO IT as I was!

What about you?? Did you see the movie this weekend? Did you dress up or have a shindig to celebrate the opening?

Miss K March 26, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I went straight from school (I’m a teacher) on Friday, still wearing my work clothes and probably even my school ID because I was so excited to get in there! I loved it and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

sarahenni March 27, 2012 at 9:01 am

YAY! Now that is true movie love!

Jessica Love March 26, 2012 at 8:21 pm

How fun! I did a couple of fun get-togethers…I dressed up for one, but I was the only one dressed up. But you know me, I rocked my Effie getup like a hurricane. :-D

Can’t wait for your movie review!

sarahenni March 27, 2012 at 9:02 am

AHH! You know I must see pictures! You need to resurrect that Effie costume for Halloween, methinks!

Sash March 26, 2012 at 9:42 pm

HAH! Indeed, I held back from yelling out LOOKIE MEEEEEE! :) Had so much fun!

sarahenni March 27, 2012 at 9:08 am

Yay!! Thanks so much for bringing the party games!

Lindsay March 27, 2012 at 8:54 am

I can’t thank you enough for hosting this! It was so much fun to meet you (and all the DC Mafi-ers!) and I look forward to doing it again sometime soon!

sarahenni March 27, 2012 at 9:15 am

It was so exciting to finally meet you IRL! Can’t wait to meet up at more DC events :)

Krispy March 27, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I saw it on Saturday morning because 1) cheaper tickets and 2) I was hoping to avoid long lines. But even though I showed up at 9 in the morning, an hour before my showing, the theater was already moderately full of teens! 9am ON A SATURDAY. Even I’m not usually awake. Haha. It was a fun time, and I would’ve brought bread, but since I was (and still am) suffering from a cold, I had a bag of cough drops so I wouldn’t ruin the movie with my incessant coughing. Curious to hear your thoughts!