The Hunger Dreams

by sarahenni on March 9, 2012

This post is subtitled: The First in What Will Inevitably Number in the Dozens of Posts About The Hunger Games. Catchy, right?

Well I had to share this post with you all, because the dream I had last night was so vivid, so absurd, and—though in the dream I was starring in The Hunger Games movie—I was so happy to wake to the real world.

Let me set the scene. My best friend Megan and I were cast to be in The Hunger Games. Not a shocking premise at all, given that Megan has a background in acting and performing, and in a couple decades I will look exactly like Suzanne Collins. But, in fantastic dream logic, the set of The Hunger Games looked like a summer retreat for very posh Scandinavians, all sleek and modern and IKEA. Also, it was actually a Sherlock Holmes movie in everything but title.

ANYWAY. There we were on our IKEA set with a crowd of other extras (who were all dressed in Steampunk outfits because, obviously), having already filmed the “crossing a bridge in heavy traffic” obligatory car chase scene (wtf brain srsly). Then we begin to film the next segment of The Hunger Games, a seminal scene surely everyone must recall, wherein two models stand in the center of a crowd and do a cross between Vogue-ing and the robot for several minutes—techno music to be added in edits. It was like a mix of a Helmut Lang runway show and Sprockets.

I told the girl sitting next to us how awful I thought the model’s costumes were (direct dream quote: “they’re ridiculous, like goth retro trash”) and she was like, well they looked good on me when I designed them. I was so embarrassed. During a filming break, Megan and I looked up who the costume designer girl was, so I could find her and apologize. Turns out her name was Wretches (and JUST Wretches, like Madonna but less Catholic) and, in addition to being the costume designer for this sham of a Hunger Games interpretation, she was THE DIRECTOR.

Megan recognized her name (Wretches being one of those that sticks in the mind), and informed me that Wretches was the daughter of some high-falutin’ Hollywood celebrity and had briefly been a model. Megan also informed me (dream Megan is so helpful! She probably got us that dream gig) that the production company behind this Hunger Games movie was owned by Sharon Osborne.  Direct dream quote from Megan: “Sharon Osborne has a talent for trying to pick out the most successful celebrity kid in a family and getting it wrong.” DREAM BURN.

So we were freaked out, embarrassed, and did I mention freaked out because what was an ex-model celebrity brat doing directing MY HUNGER GAMES?! Our outrage was quickly silenced, though, when Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law walked on set because remember, this was actually a Sherlock Holmes movie taking place on an IKEA set with occasional dance breaks.

Obviously.
While we filmed with RDJ we noticed that Wretches put herself in several all of the scenes, and when finally it came to a monologue that RDJ was supposed to give, a production team member was all: “Go get RDJ we have to film his monologue and btw what is the monologue anyway.” Wretches is all “I’ll tell you what it says” (or “I’ll tell you what it says!”, whichever helps you get the point of this scene more effectively) and launches into this soliloquy right there on set. It was highly emotional, about starting out as a model but being told she was too big, then deciding she wouldn’t conform to “their” standards and setting off to make it on her own which, personally, I think is a wonderful speech for just about any YA movie EXCEPT THE HUNGER GAMES, and also totally inappropriate for Sherlock Holmes while we’re on the subject.

So I started to get panicked. Wretches was ruining My. Hunger. Games! She made huge plot decisions in a blink and Megan and I were shoved out of scenes with RDJ unnecessarily and it was all quite distressing.

Then I woke up, remembered this:

… And felt so much better.

Happy Friday, everyone!!

ETA: My brilliant and hilarious friend Jessica sent me this video, which is at once amazingly relevant to my dream (Haymitch on Sprockets!) AND terrifyingly meta in reference to the actual Hunger Games message. SLOW CLAP, Jessica. SLOW WONDROUS CLAP.

(also, her comment had me rolling: “Now is the time in the arena when we dance.”)

Megan O'Connor March 9, 2012 at 7:34 am

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You mention IKEA multiple times with no mention if I had my ice cream cone or not!

sarahenni March 9, 2012 at 8:22 am

There was no time! We had to unravel the mystery of Wretches! (Plus, since it was MY dream, we’d be more likely to have IKEA breakfast. Mmm)

Danielle March 9, 2012 at 9:58 am

Since Megan was helpful while in IKEA in your dream, she obviously had her ice cream cone. Otherwise she would have dream-fought with you. Duh.

sarahenni March 9, 2012 at 10:03 am

well she already gave me Twitter sass about it, so basically she loves IKEA ice cream so much we’re IRL fighting about her not dream having it.

Sasha March 9, 2012 at 7:44 am

LOL. You sure do have a very active imagination. :)

sarahenni March 9, 2012 at 8:22 am

SERIOUS. I woke up from this at 3:30 AM, mind you, and had to get up to write it down. Too good!

Eve March 9, 2012 at 9:02 am

Haha I love this. WOW I do this all the time. My dreams seem a giant concoction of everything from the movies and TV I watch to the books I’m reading. Most of the time they are entertaining but sometimes they are down right scary :)

sarahenni March 9, 2012 at 10:04 am

Same here! It makes sleeping more of an adventure, that’s for sure :)

Danielle March 9, 2012 at 10:01 am

I’m pretty sure this means we need to get Megan a completely different kind of t-shirt to wear when we watch the actual Hunger Games.

sarahenni March 9, 2012 at 10:05 am

A Helmut Lang retro goth ensemble?

Crystal Schubert March 9, 2012 at 10:12 am

Haha, I’m happy to know that my dreams aren’t the only ridiculous ones. The other night I dreamt that I was on Godspeed, from ACROSS THE UNIVERSE, and that Harley and I were in love–except that he was too young for me because I was my actual age, despite being in the middle of the two generations. Oh, and he was also Spencer Shay from iCarly. And he had to find time to paint (and pursue me, of course) during his time off from filming the show.

Weird dreams FTW!

sarahenni March 11, 2012 at 3:57 pm

HAHAHAHA That is an AMAZING dream. I love how in dreams all those things can coexist. Wonderful, our imaginations are.

Erin Bowman March 9, 2012 at 11:00 am

OMG that video Jess sent. So perfect.

I once had a similar type dream regarding Harry Potter before any of the movies came out. I was directing HP and the Chamber of Secrets Jim Henson style, which involved this TERRIBLE puppet rendition of the basilisk. It was flailing around and you could see all the strings. It was pathetic. SOOO pathetic. I remember crying at my inability to produce anything that could do the books justice. Then I woke up, and like you, had this influx of images of the REAL movie and felt so incredibly relieved. Too funny.

sarahenni March 11, 2012 at 3:58 pm

MUPPET BASILISK. It sounds like your subconscious and mine are on the same page: overactive and ridiculous!

And YES isn’t the video amazing??

Krispy March 9, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I’m not gonna lie. I think I might go see this version of the Hunger Games. LOL. This is hilarious, and I love all the VERY VIVID dialogue. Now I really wish there would be a dance break in the arena. Really. Please. Someone make it happen.

Thanks for this amazing Friday laugh!

sarahenni March 11, 2012 at 3:58 pm

MWA HA HA *plans Hunger Games spoof*

Sara McClung March 9, 2012 at 5:46 pm

OMG. *dying laughing* Wow, you have crazy dreams, Sarah. So FUN. Well, really, scary at the same time–but I’m impressed with all the detail you recalled!

sarahenni March 11, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I don’t usually recall things (especially dialogue) with such specificity! That’s why it was so necessary to write it down & share it :)

Elodie March 10, 2012 at 5:55 am

Hahahah :D
Ikea is a great place to be…Your imagination runs free in your dreams and if you do go for the sequel, can you get me Jude Law and Robert phone numbers? Thanks! :D

sarahenni March 11, 2012 at 4:00 pm

ON IT.

Jemi Fraser March 10, 2012 at 10:05 am

Too funny! Gotta love when you can remember a dream so vividly – especially when it’s jumpy and crazy! :)

sarahenni March 11, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Yes, exactly! So silly :)

Kate Hart March 14, 2012 at 12:01 am

*files post under “reason number 8374729 that I <3 Sarah Enni"*

sarahenni March 16, 2012 at 6:36 am

<3 <3 <3

capillya March 17, 2012 at 2:26 pm

It’s Saturday and I don’t think I’ve laughed THIS hard all week. Also you have a freakishly good memory! If I woke up the only detail I’d probably would’ve been able to recall: OMG JUDE LAW WAS IN MY DREAM.