What Your Favorite Harry Potter Movie Says About You

by sarahenni on November 7, 2011

Over the ten years that the Harry Potter films were released, the franchise had four different  directors and an ever-evolving take on the world J.K. Rowling created. Just as almost every Harry Potter die-hard can point to their favorite book, many have one movie that stands out among the rest.

But which film best captured Harry, Hogwarts, and the magical showdown between the righteous and the snake-loving for you indicates more than just how tolerant (or not) you are of overly-long Englishmens’ mops. Read on and don’t be alarmed if I’m more accurate than Professor Trelawney with a gazing ball.

The Sorcerer’s Stone

Generally, you prefer beginnings. They’re filled with such hope! Such promise! Endings can just be so…complicated. No amount of sub-standard CGI or stilted child acting can get in the way of what you really love—the fantastic, magical story. And, your love of Sir Richard Harris is only matched by your hankerings for chocolate frogs.

The Chamber of Secrets

You are Christopher Columbus’ mother.

The Prisoner of Azkaban

You are, on the whole, a big fan of film. (Also, you refer to movies as ‘film.’) You probably thought Harry should die at the end of the series, and may have cackled while reading Rowling’s recent comments on the fate of Ron Weasley. You’ve though too much a lot about what life at Hogwarts would REALLY be like (and should probably read The Magicians, if you haven’t already). You are deeply in love with Gary Oldman, and you shipped Sirius and Lupin back when it was a raft.

The Goblet of Fire

tumblr_lo57dhHRiF1qbsjpxo1_500You love a good action sequence, but also have an appreciation for the dry humor and sweater-vest choices by Neville Longbottom. You found the soft-core hate between Durmstrang, Beauxbâtons, and Hogwarts hilarious. If you aren’t already, you’ve thought about joining your local quidditch team. In your opinion, The Beatles were just not shaggy enough. You’d welcome Viktor to Durm your Strang anytime. You sort of love to hate Harry sometimes, and may or may not have shipped Harry and Hermione in the past. When Cedric Diggory was chosen as Edward Cullen you had to explain to all your friends who RPatz was. Also, you’ve been known to dance like a crazy elf.

The Order of the Phoenix

Uncomplicated characters bore the crap out of you, and you have a distaste for authority. You can’t get enough of the Harry/Voldemort psychological parallel. You have total Schadenfreude when it comes to fictional characters, and love when things get downright terrible (related: The Empire Strikes Back is your favorite Star Wars movie). You used to crush on Snape the most, but Voldemort has officially taken over as your romanticized villain. You like your stories like you like your below-the-floorboard electrical wiring—dark and twisted.

The Half-Blood Prince

In your opinion, people who haven’t read the books have no business seeing the movie. Severus Snape owns your heart. But you’re more interested in his tortured and confusing inner life (and Alan Rickman’s laconic, impeccable pauses) than his ultimate redemption. Your other favorite genre is dystopian. You don’t have a problem with the film-makers adding new scenes or omitting large parts of the story, since film is another medium entirely. In your book, it’s about time that Ron Weasley got some already. You enjoy DRad lolz. Also, you ship yourself with Draco Malfoy.

The Deathly Hallows: Part I

Sometimes, you think the movie versions of the books should never have been made. You’re into slower, character-driven books and movies, and looking back you think your favorite part about the HP series was watching Harry, Ron, and Hermione’s relationship mature and grow. You crush hardest on Hermione. The mythology of the HP universe is fascinating to you, and if it were possible to read Hogwarts: A History, you totally would.

The Deathly Hallows: Part II

It doesn’t have to be happy, sad, or clean, but you like resolutions, and tend to enjoy the last movie in a series. (Historical war films also float your boat.) Also SNAPE & LILY = TEARS FOREVER. You can’t get enough derring-do in sweater vests and love a good ugly duckling story. You look forward to reunions, and have known to be very nostalgic, and oh yeah have you gotten your Pottermore email yet? Also, you have a rockin’ Butterbeer recipe for the DVD release party (ready for the drinking game).

Stephanie Allen November 7, 2011 at 3:30 pm

This is beautiful.

In other news: my favorite is Order of the Phoenix…heh.

sarahenni November 7, 2011 at 3:33 pm

It’s one of my faves too.. o.o Glad you liked it!!

Danielle November 7, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Dude, I like Goblet of Fire because I want Cedric to durm my strang. Not Edward Cullen. Cedric Diggory 4ever! And also maybe real life Neville…

sarahenni November 7, 2011 at 4:36 pm

It’s so nice to watch The Goblet of Fire and see RPatz with *gasp* a flush in his cheeks. Refreshingly human. And dude, IRL? Neville, every time.

Samantha Mabry November 7, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Sigh. Prisoner of Azkaban all the way. I actually love Gary Oldman so much, I went to a film festival because I knew he’d actually be there, but I also had to sit through what I knew would be a bad independent movie starring him. And yes, I just used “film” in the previous sentence.

sarahenni November 7, 2011 at 4:37 pm

FULL DISCLOSURE. PoA is my fav, too. And I fully appreciate the use of “film.”

Kaitlin November 7, 2011 at 4:06 pm

“You are Christopher Columbus’ mother.”
lolololololololol.

I am Team I-wanted-Harry-to-die. *is cruel and evil*

sarahenni November 7, 2011 at 4:38 pm

BAHAHA Somehow, I am not surprised! You love your stories real, my friend.

Alyson Greene November 7, 2011 at 4:07 pm

This is excellent! And spot on. Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite movie, but Order of the Phoenix is a close second. And yeah, maybe Harry should have died. *ducks*

sarahenni November 7, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I am with you on. all. counts. my friend. *high fives Alyson*

Claire Legrand November 7, 2011 at 4:17 pm

LOVE this, oh my goodness. My favorites are Order of the Phoenix and DH Part I, and these descriptions are DEAD. ON.

sarahenni November 7, 2011 at 4:39 pm

:D So glad you liked it!!

Sumayyah November 7, 2011 at 4:30 pm

UGH HOW ARE YOU SO PERFECT SARAH. HERE HAVE A GIF:

sarahenni November 7, 2011 at 4:39 pm

OMG THAT GIF. I love it.

Holly November 7, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Order of the Phoenix lover here, and you are SPOT ON! lol Awesome list, Sarah!

sarahenni November 7, 2011 at 4:45 pm

YAY! I’m going to start writing fortunes now and see how that works ;)

Amanda J November 7, 2011 at 5:05 pm

HAHAHA. This is fantastic! I don’t know that I have a favorite though, I’m torn between HBP, and DH1. Oh how I love the tortured characters.

sarahenni November 7, 2011 at 5:21 pm

The tortured characters in HP are just darn near impossible to hate. That was set in stone right when they cast Alan Rickman and Ralph Fiennes!

Laurie Dennison November 7, 2011 at 5:25 pm

This is one of my favorite blog posts ever! I think I’m a DH Part II kind of girl. It’s still playing at our theater, and was half full when I went a few weeks ago :)

sarahenni November 7, 2011 at 6:02 pm

It’s still playing?! That’s so awesome!! And I’m so glad you liked the post :D (Had tons of fun writing it)

Krispy November 7, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Your clairvoyance is freaking me out. THESE ARE SO GREAT.

PoA is hands down my favorite. Favorite film, favorite book, even after JKR sunk my ship/raft. Mostly, I just love the Marauders. Would read books about them. And yes, Harry probably should have died, though I was not expecting it to actually happen. (I should also read the Magicians.)

sarahenni November 7, 2011 at 6:04 pm

1. PoA is my fav too! Hands down.
2. That ship getting sunk was WAY SAD.
3. Agree with you 100% on harry and death.
4. Read The Magicians and its sequel POST HASTE. Then pls report back and let me know how you liked them. I am in lurve with Les Grossman.

Krispy November 8, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Yes’m! I will accomplish #4 and report back to you asap!

Rebecca B November 7, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Wait. Christopher Columbus is my son? [Kidding]
This is great. And very accurate!

sarahenni November 7, 2011 at 8:26 pm

LOL I certainly hope not! And thank you!!

Sarah G. November 7, 2011 at 8:31 pm

This is BRILLIANT. I love PoA, which means that Alfonso Cuarón has directed three of my favorite movies, all of which are nothing alike: this one (Sirius/Remus, yes!, and bad-ass Hermione), A Little Princess (*sob*), and Y tu mamá también (young Gael García Bernal, road trip!). I seem to just have said “movies” rather than “films,” but I admit to using both. ;)

But it’s so hard to choose! I also love OotP (complicated characters FTW), HBP (I am not a film to book purist at all, and loved its humor), and DH1 (I *do* like slow character-driven movies).

Essentially, this post is amazing and I am now psychoanalyzing myself.

sarahenni November 8, 2011 at 3:18 am

Cuaron is BRILLIANCE. I was quite sad when he said he wasn’t coming back to direct another. And mwahaha, let the psychoanalysis begin!

Jessica Love November 7, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I actually don’t know which movie is my favorite! I think I need to have a weekend marathon and figure it out. I do know that OotP is is my favorite book and least favorite movie, but aside from that I give my love freely. What does *that* say about me?

sarahenni November 8, 2011 at 3:19 am

LOL That is a good question! “What Your LEAST Favorite HP Movie Says About You” sounds like a whole other post!

Sara McClung November 7, 2011 at 10:44 pm

LOL. “Also SNAPE & LILY = TEARS FOREVER” sums me up to a T.

It *is* pretty hard for me to pick a favorite, but I do usually go with DH2

sarahenni November 8, 2011 at 3:20 am

I mean, the tears sentiment is likely true for everyone, but especially the DH2 lovers!!

Katy Upperman November 8, 2011 at 12:32 am

I’m thinking this is pretty spot-on, Sarah! My favorites are 3 and 6, mostly because I loved learning about all the back story with Harry’s parents and Sirius and Lupin in 3, the then all of Tom Riddle’s crazy history in 6. They’re all fab though (well, except 2… eh.).

sarahenni November 8, 2011 at 3:20 am

The history was some of my favorite stuff, too. But — strictly in films — I think 3 was a little more successful in getting the story across. My heart hurt so bad for Sirius!

Chelsea November 8, 2011 at 7:48 pm

That was pretty much bang on! I tend to waver between Prizoner of Azkaban and DH pt 2, but either one is a great description of me. Interesting :)

sarahenni November 9, 2011 at 10:32 pm

PoA is my fav, so I was cheating a bit with that description ;)

D.V. November 8, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I loved the first book even with all the stilted acting. The whole wizarding world was well thought out and illustrated, setting the stage for the rest of the series. Azkaban, for me was the best film, loved the whomping willow and the silly bird .
I really liked both Deathly Hallows . The music was excellent. Deathly Hallows 2 does a credible job of showing a war which only last one night, but greatly improves upon what was probably the worst piece of writing in all her books.

sarahenni November 9, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Totally agree re: Azkaban. And yes! Using the Whomping Willow to show the changing seasons was brilliant. (And quite funny.)

Carla Lute November 8, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Christopher Columbus’ was the best thing that happened to the Harry Potter series. The movies got progressively worse after he left. (Though I acknowledge the challenge of squeezing 600-800 page books into 2 hour films.) Deathly Hallows Part I got my hopes up, but Deahtly Hallows II dropped the ball at the final confrontation.

They wouldn’t have needed two DH films, if GoF, OotP, or HBP had progressed the plot instead of leaving out so many significant moments and adding so much filler.

Great casting and actors, set designers, source material, etc….I blame directors.

sarahenni November 9, 2011 at 10:33 pm

As J.K. herself noted in the DH2 premiere—Chris Columbus was the one to put that brilliant cast together. He certainly set a magical tone for the entire series.

Emy Shin November 11, 2011 at 7:09 pm

This is awesome. THE SORCERER’S STONE will always have a special place in my heart, but it’s so difficult to choose between PRISONER OF AZKABAN and DEATHLY HALLOWS 2.

agneskenya April 16, 2012 at 8:23 am

Loved this entry! For various reasons, it’s really hard to choose…

My fav movies : The Sorcerer’s Stone (the wolrd of HP, and Richard Harris, how I love thee), The Half Blood prince (Snape and his inner demons, and the end of Dumbledore), and Deathly Hallows 2 (the big finale).

Why not PoA, which is my favorite book? Not because they changed things, as indeed, film is another media. However, a film should translate the intensity of the book it’s based on, and the depth of the characters. The greatness of Sirius and Lupin, and the relationships between HP and his godfather and his teacher were not well depicted in the movie…Kuddos for the visual of the Dementors though: THAT was a success.

To me, the movies that were the best character wise were The Sorcerer’s Stone, The Half Blood prince, and Deathly Hallows 2.

Charles May 5, 2012 at 10:38 pm

All of these descriptions match myself perfectly…
It’s rather scary actually..

Brian January 16, 2014 at 10:02 pm

My favorites i have 5 of them that are tied which are prisoner of azkaban, order of the phoenix, half-blood prince, deathly hallows part 1, and deathly hallows part 2.

Muskaan Bakshi May 2, 2014 at 5:30 am

My favorite book and movie is Half Blood Prince. And the description is almost accurate! I like to know more about Prof. Snape and Tom Marvolo Riddle. But I don’t like it that the movies do not show major scenes such as the Quidditch World Cup. And
YES! I SHIP MYSELF WITH DRACO MALFOY! That prediction is the most accurate.